Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Equation 16.42 - Raymer 4th Edition


I went through Raymer and a couple of other texts (Stengel, Etkin, etc.) and I it's my understanding that the negative term in eqn 16.42 represents 'propeller fin effect' (Etkin eqn.3.9,8) and is destabilizing for a conventional tractor config. 

The term in question, dBp/dB, is analogous to d(alpha)p/d(alpha), which is seen is eqn 16.30 (Raymer) which is the upwash derivative if the engine is in front of the wings. Similarly, dBp/dB, is probably the sidewash derivative wrt to the prop. 

For a single engine tractor configuration the vertical tail is considered far aft, so that dBp/dB is equal to one. I got this value from a colleague, so there is no text I can point to. Raymer doesn't define this term anywhere. 

I'd appreciate  constructive feedback.

-k


No comments:

Post a Comment